On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Alexander Thurgood
<alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:

I am not a developer, but I have been using the database stuff of
OOo/LibO since before it even became open source, i.e. back in the day
when it was still a proprietary StarDivision product - there has to my
knowledge never been a specific remit for the database functionality to
be Access compatible. It has always been more of a "offer the broadest
general support for as many db engines as possible" kind of approach,
and then this became a "provide a portable cross-platform single file db
solution", in order for Sun to try and offer something akin to MS
Access' own single file db solution.

Perhaps I should be more clear.  I wasn't expecting binary
compatibility, but perhaps an easy migration from Access to whatever
backend is chosen.

I'm not too worried about "enteprise level' users.  They have enough
money to hire the staff to port the data over effectively.  Mid-level
and small businesses, however, do not.  I'd have to dig out my old
Access books, but I thought there were functions which permitted
exporting the data out of the DB, query, and forms into some other
format, but I could be mistaken.

Robert