Hello,

I second Kruno.

I really don't think that suggestions from old versions (which were
never approved) are carried onto the newer versions, but I also think
it's hardly justifiable to waste time hunting and carrying them one by
one into the newer branches (not with the typical speed of a heavily
loaded Pootle installation anyway).

Furthermore, just like Kruno wrote, all approved strings are carried
over to the newer branch when that branch gets introduced, so whatever
you lose from your translation, you lose either because the original
string has been changed, or because its identifier has been changed for
some reason, but even then, the original strings will typically show up
as suggestions for the new ones, and regarding the second reason in
particular, that is an infrastructure thing, which should ideally be
resolved by the L10n infra team (or whatever they are called), not the
localizers.

While it's not impossible that some strings might be removed from one
release just to reappear in another one, it's hardly common enough to
justify keeping these old branches indefinitely. On the other hand,
keeping them has some drawbacks as well: it means even more load on
Pootle, and might make an impression that it's worth spending time
updating L10n of these old releases (which it isn't, when the branch is
finalized and no new releases are planned). If you look at our Pootle
homepage (https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/), you'll
see that some contributors are still spending their time on 4.3 and 4.4
branches, and for what reason, when these branches are defunct already?
In my strong opinion, time spent on these obsolete branches today is
very much time uselessly wasted. Someone has contributed a change on 4.3
branch as recently as two days ago, and that branch hasn't had a release
for almost a year now. Even if that change was just carried over from
newer branches, it was pretty much pointless waste of time, at least in
my opinion.

All in all, I think these obsolete branches should be removed from
Pootle ASAP, or at the very least made read only.

I would probably even go as far as suggest localization teams to disable
anonymous contributions and any suggestions on all branches but one: the
one on which the team in question actually works and which could later
be morphed into the newer one, when the time comes. This way it would be
easier for incomplete locales to concentrate their effort, instead of
reviewing potentially conflicting suggestions on multiple branches.
Also, this would probably allow to not lose suggestions due to branch
change (although I'm not 100% sure about this).

Regards,
Rimas