2014.11.30 16:23, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
I agree this will be annoying, because at the very least, the localizers
will have to re-approve a lot of their old translations when these
changes land. At least in the case of "don't" though, maybe this change
could be automated, if we ask Andras or Christian nicely? :)
Well, the only thing that can be done is to apply the old strings
despite the typographic changes, i.e. do a run that maps all
typographic quotes back to simple variants and then try to find an old
translation for that string and apply it.
In other words: Change the English string to typographic quotes, and
take the translations from the non-typographic variant.

So translators wouldn't need to retranslate, but also wouldn't see
what strings did change.

If this can be done, I'm sure it would make most localizers happier.
Especially in cases like "don't", where the translation most likely
doesn't even contain the glyph that has changed. As for quotes, these
most likely exist in localized content as well, but I'd say it has been
localizer's responsibility to use typographically correct ones from the
very beginning. And for those of us don't care about "typographical
nonsense", forcing them to resubmit hundreds of strings will hardly
change that stance.

Changes to ellipsis characters should probably be applied automatically
as well, except for a few locales (like Japanese), for which Unicode
ellipsis is displayed as three vertically aligned dots, which at least a
couple years back seems to have been very unexpected in application UIs.

Regards,
Rimas