2014.11.30 07:38, Yury Tarasievich rašė:
On 11/30/2014 05:13 AM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
In case you guys didn’t know, Apple [1], Microsoft [2] and GNOME [3]
are all recommending the use of typographical apostrophes and
quotation marks, among other characters that have been historically

Said recommendations, while formaly correct, are subverted by the fact
that there are no commonly accessible methods to keyboard-input all
those "fancy" glyphs.

In OpenOffice (and in Word?) you may have add-ons, auto-correcting
some of those cases. Otherwise than that you'd have to install
smarty-pants (often, pain-in-the-..., too) keyboard input correctors
or resort to mouse-clicking in the glyph tables.

Just a reminder: in Pootle, it's possible to specify harder-to-input
characters for each language, which are then made available below the
text input field when localizing. While it's less convenient than
inputting them with the keyboard, it's still better than having a
separate character map application launched just to copy these few
characters. Furthermore, I think Pootle even shows such Unicode
characters in the source string as placeables, making them clickable.

And if you use Windows and want to make inputting these characters even
more convenient, you can always customize your keyboard layout adding
missing typographical  symbols to the AltGr (or any other) layer. Here's
a free tool to do that:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx.

I am actually planning to update the rest of strings in LibreOffice to
use the correct characters, but I guessed I had already annoyed the
other translators too much for this version, so that would be in 4.5.

So you will still annoy the translators, only more.

Program UI isn't a typography showcase. Why not leave the pragmatic
simplification which serves it purpose? Does it break anything?

I agree this will be annoying, because at the very least, the localizers
will have to re-approve a lot of their old translations when these
changes land. At least in the case of "don't" though, maybe this change
could be automated, if we ask Andras or Christian nicely? :)

Regards,
Rimas