Hello Giovanni!

2014.10.20 20:22, Giovanni Caligaris wrote:
My name is Giovanni and I'm Paraguayan citizen. I was wondering if someone
already started translating LO to Guarani. If not I would like to start it.

Guarani is Paraguay's second official language. It is spoken by 90% of
Paraguayans. Some areas of the country only speak Guarani (45%). It's the
only country in the Americas that speaks a native language. Even thou the
native indian population in the country is a bit less than 100,000.

Sadly Guarani is seen as a street language, it does not reach professional
status like Spanish or English.

I believe if LibreOffice has a Guarani version it will make a big impact in
the country, specially in rural areas. Now days it's a requirement to know
how to use Office.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Welcome to LibreOffice, and yes, there is absolutely always something
you can do!

Let's start with the basics. In LibreOffice, most teams use our instance
of Pootle for localization. It is accessible at
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/. In order to work in
Pootle, you have to create yourself an account there and post your
username to this list, so that Pootle administrators can give you the
permissions necessary to work on your language.

Above the list of languages, on Pootle homepage you'll see a really
short localization intro. It's that short for two reasons: 1) the number
of characters we could use there used to be very limited and 2) it
contains links to our Wiki, and the Wiki has all the info you might need
about localizing LibreOffice. Either way, for starters, you might just
want to create yourself an account and post your username here.

One important aspect of localizing LibreOffice is its size. LibreOffice
is huge. There are more than 30000 strings to translate, so it is an
enormous amount of work. Which is why you should probably start looking
for collaborators interested in helping you out with this effort right
away. Alternatively (or in addition), you might look into means of
getting some financial backing for your effort, for example, by applying
for a government/private grant or seeking support from the crowd (this
is not a requirement of any sort, just a mere suggestion).

Hmm, what else... There is some more bootstrapping work involved, but
that can wait. For now, let me know if you need any special characters
you would like to be accessible for easy entry in Pootle (for example,
ones not commonly found in keyboard layouts in your region; by looking
at Wikipedia, I suspect at least G̃/g̃ might be the case). Also, for now,
Pootle will assume there are two plural forms in your language (1 apple,
2 or more apples), let me know whether or not this assumption is correct.

Should you have any further questions, you're always welcome to post to
the l10n list (and subscribing to it is highly recommended). We have
some awesomely helpful and friendly people here who are eager to guide
localizers through any possible difficulties, so don't be shy! ;)

Best regards,
Rimas