Hi all,
Le 28/08/2014 20:10, Robinson Tryon a écrit :
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Nino Novak <nn.libo@kflog.org> wrote:
On 25.08.2014 19:09, Robinson Tryon wrote:

What can we do to recruit more people to help with translations?

For me (an occasional translator) the biggest hurdle is the technical
overhead needed for some of the translations. Somebody like me, who just
wants to translate a page or correct some errors - being forced to learn
pootle (or similar tools) prevents me from "just starting".

I haven't really used pootle much, but it does seem a bit quirky.

There are a number of things we could do to improve translations. To
hop over to another piece of infra for a moment, getting the
Translations extension installed on the TDF wiki will hopefully be a
good step forward:
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/107

Moggi and Kendy are working on finding a way to correctly extract the
help files to transfer them to the wiki. But that's not all, after that
we need to find a workflow that do not cause more work to the l10n team
and in the same time allow more English native speakers to participate
to the help writing process.

Therefore in my eyes, a simpler workflow could substantially improve
crowd-sourcing of help file translations / corrections. Example:
 - present an "edit" or "translate" button on every page or even paragraph
(could / should? be restricted to registered users)

Restricting edits to logged-in users is a good approach to
spam/griefers, even if the content is reviewed before inclusion.

it's more to prevent to add more work to translators.

 - transmit the diff of such a user-made change to a group of reviewers with
"publish" rights
 - make it easy to integrate the changes back into the original page (e.g.
by buttons "accept" / "edit" / "dismiss" (if spam etc)
 - make history visible (e.g. like in Wikis) so that everybody can see, who
has contributed what

These all seem like they could be helpful improvements to Pootle. Some
of them (e.g. making history visible) seem like they might not take a
ton of development work. Does the Language team chat with the Pootle
developers at all? Are they receptive to suggestions/enhancement
requests?

Yes, we are in contact with Dwayne, there is several enhancement that
are in the pipe, like a new Pootle version, adding Deckhard, etc...

... well, that's just a proposal that came into my mind while reading your
question. Easy to request but heavy to implement, I suppose ;-)

Some things might take more work, such as adding in a completely new
review system, but others might be more straightforward.

Once the Translations extension is installed in MediaWiki, it would be
great if you could give some feedback about the way that it works. I
believe that it integrates a number of features you mentioned
including history and a mechanism for review. I'm not suggesting that
MediaWiki could replace Pootle, but perhaps one tool might help to
inform and improve another.

We will have a staging period once the technical issues solved, that
will help to define the process between help writers and l10n team. I
hope we will be able to discuss that next week.

Cheers
Sophie