Uhm,..

Well the point I'm trying to make is that the installer is completely localised. So unless I've done the install many times in another language which characters I can read, I don't even know there is a custom install as the language that says custom install is unreadable to me. I guess that goes for any expat around the world that ends up at the wrong desktop environment and probably the odd 10% of all world population that can consider themselves immigrants.

If you've ever tried to force a windows version into localisation to your taste you might know that it's not all that straightforward. Downloading a 180MB language pack file over a shaky connection that drops packages like dandruff from a stressed head and then finding out that the person responsible for installing your windows version downloaded it from the local chopstick shop. Telling your boss that you'd like a genuine version instead of following the lead of 70% of his peers is not going to make sense to them. I guess that people in this forum are a bit unaware of the troubles one may run into when trying to install stuff in a developing nation with a low morality when it comes to IP theft.

Oh,.. sure,.. I could plug some Linux distro on it and all my trouble would be over. However, that would exclude me from communicatng with my collegues that run all those nifty malware tools like QQ (some IM) and the like. Nor do Linux distro's support Chinese all that well for those that cannot read Chinese. It exists, but alas,.. the info is all in Chinese and not all of it is in HTML format that I might run through Google Chrome to translate it. So Vistualize your win7 environment will set some things straight at least, but NOT localisation settings. I'm a system engineer for all sake and haven't bothered any more to try set the date display to english. Just can't find it and I guess it may have been removed by the guys that created this otherwise fairly decent win7 rip.

Now, total locaisation may sound like a smart and elegant thing to do, but maybe a default language option button/switch for all those poor buggers like me in a non-localised internationally dominant trade language such as English might be a really good idea. I installed the English version allright, but I have no idea what the options where and just guessing right about the common conventions used in button locations made me get there. I would however be nice to keep the guesswork out of the equation and actually get to understand what you are installing where and why instead.

And yeah,.. calling your local support engineer to do the install for you? Muahahaha,.. he's got to ask his boss,.. boss,.. boss,... etc... Who doesn't understand the issue of wanting to use a ui you can actually understand,.. and you get no after some months. All for the sake of a friggin installer being uber localised. So tell me... What did I actually agree to? I get these scary visions of becoming a human centiOffice appendix all the sudden. Did I install some Java Runtime as well at default? Oh, cripes...

Come on people,.. if this is the UI/UX department, this issue is right at it's place as this is UI/UX at it's purest. The installer UX sucks because the UI is monomanic. There should always be more than one road going to Rome as Rome is a cosmopolitan place. Sure,.. do as the Romans do,.. but you can swear in your native barbaric language at least.

Cheers,

Jelle

P.S.
I speak and read 4 languages fluently, know a bit of 10 others, but the 43.000 chars of simplified Chinese are beyond me for the coming 6 years or so.