Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site

Hi :)
I agree it's frustrating.  There is too much to do and so targeting the most useful and productive system is fairly vital.

The documentation team are hoping to work on the in-built help but it's unlikely to be completed any time soon!  The 40% already completed will be useful especially if it's done as strings.  Even if it is translated as an entire document(s) then when the updated version becomes available then "Compare documents" may help minimise the amount of extra work needed to update the 40% already done when/if those updates become available.

For the Guides the most useful one, the one that has the biggest impact and is the most downloaded one is the "Getting Started Guide" and that is already complete for the 4.0.x branch.  The most useful chapters in that guide are; 2, 3 and 4.  Each chapter is fairly self-sufficient and can be published separately.

The Getting Started Guide has 1 chapter for each module/app.  Chapter 4 is the first of those and deals with "Writer" which is the most used app/module in LibreOffice.  Chapter 3 deals with the biggest jump in productivity between MS Office and LibreOffice.  Once people learn how differently "Styles" work in LibreOffice they find it can be much faster to get a far better document by using LibreOffice.  Chapter 2 is about setting up LibreOffice.  Screen-shots are mostly to show position of options, such as where to find things in menus.  So the screen-shots rarely need to be in the right language, it's nicer when they are but it's not a priority.

The Title page and 1st page are fairly generic and much the same for all chapters in all guides.  Then the next page or 2 are the Table of Contents which are generated fairly automatically from the rest of the guide of course.

Since you have already done 40% (nearly half already) i am not complete certain whether it is better to stop
translating the in-built help and start on the guides or just finish it off fairly quickly.  If you carry on with it then perhaps just don't worry so much about quality nor about bringing it up-to-date.  Finishing the remaining 60% might be the fastest way to ensure 1
completed help-system in your language.  If you had done less than 20% the choice might have been easier!

Right now i think the best bet is probably to finish off the in-built help but only because you are already half-way through so your work-flow is probably very efficient.

One other question i am not sure about is whether a previous translation of the in-built help can be used to replace some or all of the in-built help for 4.0.0 and then used completely for 4.0.1 and subsequent releases.
Regards from
Tom :)