Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site

Hi :)
The Published Guides are hosted on the wiki but they are very different from the wiki.

With the Guides it is easy to see exactly which release of LibreOffice they were written for.  Also easy to see how recent (or old) each book is.  Also all the pages in a chapter, or even the entire book, are all written for the same version of LIbreOffice so users can extrapolate easily.

All the other forms of help have a high chance of being inconsistent even within a page.  Also words may be used differently or different words used for the same thing.  For example are the buttons on the icon-bar buttons or icons or even tools?  How about on the keyboard?  Is there an on/off button on your keyboard?

The documentation team agrees on what terms to use in order to be consistent throughout the guides.  For screen-shots they avoid shots done on Windows as there might be possible problems with MS's EULA.  Legal experts have advised in both directions so it's easier to be safe than to potentially have to deal with a problem later on.

However they also follow the principles of "Release early and release often" so each release may not be 100% perfect but they do get closer to it.

So if i were involved in doing the translations then i would leave updating the screen-shots to the 2nd release or subsequent version in any particular language.  Of course some teams may find they have a person that figures out how to do them quickly and manages to race through the whole lot quite quickly.  Similarly with the quality of the translations.  As the bulk of the guides remain much the same from one release to the next it's possible to just gradually increase the quality over the course of a few new releases.

Regards from
Tom :)