Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site

Hi :)
>From what i can make out there has been almost no-one updating the in-built help in the last 8 years or so!

The requirement to understand Xml means that people whose skills are in producing good quality documentation are unable to understand or work on the in-built help.  So if anyone has been updating the in-built help then it's been people that understand coding well but not necessarily grok the nuances of non-technical-human communication.

Any translation teams that have done straight translations into their own languages now have very out-dated in-built help packages.  In the past that has not been too much of a problem.  Sun aimed for stability and tried to suppress innovation and new-feature development.  With LibreOffice it is becoming a big problem.  Hopefully translators have been usign their own skills as producers of good quality work to modify and add to the in-built help.  In which case we need a translation back into English in order to update what we have.

On the English User Support lists we have had lots of people grumble that they couldn't get LibreOffice to work and that the in-built help was useless, inadequate or even blatantly wrong or missing crucial features.  Many complained that it was typical of OpenSource that it had such bad documentation and was a reason they would prefer to go back to MS.  Once pointed to the published Guides they turned around completely, even ending up paying for guides published by the printing service at Lulu and becoming advocates encouraging others to use LibreOffice.

Wiki's are great but quickly become quite difficult to find your way around even for longer-term users.  Also since they are often written by normal users instead of people skilled in producing good quality documentation we again run into difficulties.  Also it requires that people understand wiki-editing more than they understand how to write well.

So i think that if we want good quality documentation then the focus for translators really needs to be on the published Guides.

Notice that those published guides are generating a small profit for the documentation team.  Even though the guides are available for free from many sources people have still made a big effort to buy the professionally printed guides from the store at Lulu.  That happens enough that the docs team can more than cover the costs of getting the guides into other stores and a bit more for contingencies and other sundry costs.

More importantly people see attractively and professionally printed guides in various place and that spreads the word about LibreOffice more.

So i think it's important to stop placing such high priority on translating the in-built (outdated) help and make more of a push into translating the published guides.

Regards from
Tom :)