[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site
- Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site
- From: Zeki Bildirici <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:13:18 +0200
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: Jan Holesovsky <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, LibreOffice-l10n <email@example.com>
As we all know LibreOffice help is served in two ways; the locally
installed help package and online help at help.libreoffice.org. I
think we all accept that this huge help content is not used/preferred
by users. Personally i think that a huge percent of users even don't
know these resources.
Like ordinary computer users, we always start searching help from
Google. That should be accepted the usual and normal habit.
I think we can improve the usage of the help with improving the
existence of help and changing the habits of the users.
Currently online help wiki hosts 21 languages, which have almost
completed help translations. But i think it is not enough for all this
LibreOffice gives great importance on localization, and why we serve
less than this? There are 39 languages translated the help over %70.
This means a lot, and more for the users of this language. 18 language
will bring thousand of opportunities to get help, and fight discourage
Not all of our local communities has a network, forum or other
platforms to serve and share the knowledge. Help content is a golden
mine for us. For example, we established our Turkish forum and we have
only a little info there, so Google cannot serve the answers from us,
but if our help content was uploaded, everything will be different.
I have some ideas to make the help content more efficient by changing
the habits of the users.
- Adding more languages to the wiki (over %70 completion or %50 will be better)
- Adding sharing widgets to wiki pages, which we may share useful
stuff in social media. There are usefull widgets for wikimedia
http://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/Widgets_Catalog * Personnally i am
thinking pick usefull info and share as tip of day in my twitter and
Google+ as the tip of day etc regularly when our language is added to
- Adding an info bar to http://ask.libreoffice.org/ and inform users
about the help site, which is the first source of self learning and
- Blogging about both online help site and embed help to increase the
awareness about this sites in our own language.
- When helping people, kindly notify them that they may have abundant
info from this help
- Improve the landing pages from the users which have not yet
installed the help package
- A little polish (We had some in our Turkish wiki:
Sharing, blogging and giving links to help site will also improve the
Google Pagerank(currently 5 while MS office help site has 8) and that
will result better search resources.
We spent hours for creating and translating this help, whatever it is
thought to be very very outdated(i don't agree) as i said it has all
the stuff and it is a gold mine. We may serve and use it better i
PS: Michael, thats my ping for Kendy :)
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site||Tom Davies <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: RE: [libreoffice-l10n] Maltese Translations
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle updated with LibreOffice 4.0.1 strings
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] Maltese Translations
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Improving the usage of help.libreoffice.org site