I must agree. One of the main reasons LO is attractive to users of my locale is the fact that it HAS proofing tools for our language. I already hate the thought of my inbox if this goes live because I'll be at the receiving end of dozens of email complaining that the spellcheck doesn't work anymore. Which should also be a consideration - perhaps it seems like a time-saving exercise to say "we'll fix it later" but that's a false economy and does not take into account the time which will be wasted by users and support people trying to calm down and support irate end users.

Whether this was picked up late or not should be immaterial, as long as it's *before* the release that's early enough. That's why they are pre-releases. We're going to be the laughing stock of the office software world, including AOO, if this goes out.

And as Chris said, I've never had complaints saying "the new release, why is it 8 days late?" but I have had plenty of emails asking me why the locale settings don't work (an old bug related only to my locale).

Bad medicine as Bart would say.

Michael

06/08/2012 09:35, sgrìobh Chris Leonard:
I'm not convinced.  Kludgy workarounds are no excuse for not fixing
critical bugs before a major release.  I'm afraid that I have to agree
with Martin that I would have considered that particular bug a
blocker.  My general impression is that FOSS users are not hung up on
schedules and a delayed release is not a big deal, but missing major
features in a major release seems like a bad idea.

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

cjl