Hi Donald et. al.,

2011/12/29 Donald Rogers <donr2648@clear.net.nz>

On the other hand, is this a mechanism for developers to save us lots of
work, retranslating the same strings over and over, e.g. OK, Cancel?

this is not a proper reason to compound strings this way. There are tons of
Cancels and OKs in the string pool, and they should be kept separate. The
point is that the number of strings actually gets higher: if you compound
three strings with same beginning, you have 4 strings to translate instead
of 3. Yes, they are shorter, but in languages with cases, such as all
Slavic ones, you get incorrect translations. So 10 languages are ok and all
the rest not ...

I guess the conservatism of OOo team when designing UI with those UI spec
documents was a good thing and this should be in a way incorporated in the
LO development process, even if with a lower administration impact on
developers - but there should be some l10n representative checking ALL the
proposed changes of UI strings - that they are logical and that they are
localizable in all 100+ languages. Only then they could be checked in.

So, Andras, will you take care of these two string-formations in the code
for 3.5, the one reported by Milos and the one by Mihkel? Or do we have to
adapt our translations according to "what the author of code wanted to
say"? Time for 3.5 is running out I guess.

Last but not least - all best in the upcoming year to every single LO-l10n
contributor!

m.