Figure captions in a single line

I am updating the chapter template for the LO user guide chapters and I am trying to solve a problem on figure captions that was raised by Olivier.

How do you expand the width off a figure frame without changing the existing width and height of the image?

In other words, I am trying to make the frame surrounding an image wider than the image itself so that a figure caption is on one line.

I have tried several ways by changing frame properties, but as yet no access.

Does anyone have a solution that would be easy for everybody to use?

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

I do it by selecting the *image* and changing its properties from a percent
to a specified width. Then I can change the width of the frame (that
encloses the image + caption) without affecting the image.

Jean

Recently I’ve tried changing the % on the image instead of using a fixed
width. This seems to work, but takes more guessing and practice to get a
good result.

Jean

Hi

It is important to have a clear rule, so we can write a sanitizer script for the chapter images.

Olivier
PS I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wrestling on the floor with images, captions and frames. I'm full of bruises.

Peter,

keep in mind that this frame must accommodate also the translation of the
text into other languages - and the translations are usually longer than
the original (at least in Slovenian they usually are).
So the solution must offer some flexibility for (even) longer translations

Lp, m.

V V tor., 14. jun. 2022 ob 10:29 je oseba Peter Schofield <