Future method for users to report errors in guides?

After the documentation list moves to its new forum, how will users be
advised to report errors in the guides? Currently the copyright pages
direct users to this (docs) mailing list. They do not need to subscribe to
do so.

Jean

Hello Jean

We will have to update the feedback link to the forum.

It will be necessary to get a login.

Kind regards
Olivier
Note: the documentation forum link will be announced later.

IMO requiring someone to get a login just to report an error is not
user-friendly at all. In fact, I would describe it as user-hostile.
There must be another (better) way.

Jean

You raise an important issue, Jean.

There should be some other very easy way. These are not programmers, they
are not used to filling in bug reports.

What about having a special simple "post" report-form that would be
moderated and only true reports would be then forwarded to the new
discussion system - with some kind of confirmation to the reporter?
There could be a drop-down with a list of entities the bug refers to (UI,
help, wiki, guides) and a text field to describe the error (and a possibly
a field with http of page reference).

It would simplify the process for the reporter (i.e a user) and add some
load to the moderator, yes. The moderator could then forward the report
(with additional info) as a bug report into bugzilla, as well.

If this is all overhead, then we should generate a mail account, like
report.errors@documentation.libreoffice.org and users should write an
e-mail describing the problem they found. The moderator would the forward
them to the new list.

Lp, m.

napisala:

Hello Martin

I agree with you. LO needs a simple method of reporting problems with the software. Bug reports would put users off reporting problems. Even I would prefer a simpler method when I find errors in the software when writing the user guides for Impress and Draw.

Regards

Peter Schofield

Hi

I've spent time and cleared out the issue with the infra team and it will be possible to send a mail to the forum without subscription.

The mail will hit the moderation, though.

If the sender wants to edit or be part of the community he/she will have to register, as usual.

The mail address will be set when the documentation forum go live. I have no better name to suggest than "documentation@community.documentfoundation.org".

Regards
Olivier

the software. Bug reports would put users off reporting problems. Even I would prefer a simpler method when I find errors in the software when writing the user guides for Impress and Draw.

For doc issues a simple method probably works, but for bug reports we can't offer a "customer hotline". Crowdsourced bug triaging needs to be based on accounts as the reporter has to give feedback.

Ilmari

Excellent! Thank you, Olivier.

Jean