Impress Guide 7.3

The complete Impress Guide 7.3 is now in the Published and PDF folders on NextCloud ready to be released.

If anyone wants to review and comment, then please do so.

Now to complete the Draw Guide 7.3 and get it ready for publishing.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

I will check the PDF for formatting errors.

Jean

Peter,

One trivial formatting error (possibly not worth the effort of recreating
the book): on page 143, the numbers 4) and 6) are out of line with the rest
of the numbers in the list.

Regards, Jean

I will check the PDF for formatting errors.

Jean

The complete Impress Guide 7.3 is now in the Published and PDF folders

on NextCloud ready to be released.

Thank you Jean with the eagle eyes.

I will correct and create new PDF file.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Corrected ODT and PDF files for the Impress Guide 7.3 and Chapter 5 Managing Graphic Objects have been uploaded to the Published and PDF Files folders on NextCloud.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

HI Peter, Hi Kees

Thank you very much for this new Guide. The Impress Guide 7.3 has been uploaded to the websites and a blog post is published on the topic.

I have downloaded the Published folder in a local folder and did some tweaks in the chapters.

The objective was to create a master document with all the chapters linked. From the master document I created the PDF and the ODT.

On each chapter I cleaned the direct formatting, cleared the list styles and adjusted the image anchoring (*).

Should I replace the existing files in the Published folder?. Please let me know.

Kind regards
Olivier

(*) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo/ProducingLibreOfficeUserGuides#How_to_insert_images_into_ODT_files

Hello Olivier

Please replace the files in the Published folder, then I can download them ready for the next upgrade.

Please note that the Draw guide 7.3 will be ready for publishing next week. I will let the team know when I have finished.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Olivier,

Some of your settings in the ODM are causing the layout (page breaks)
to go wrong. The settings are on the Tools > Options > LibreOffice
Writer > Compatibility page. You need to deselect "Add paragraph and
table spacing at tops of pages" and "Add spacing between paragraphs
and tables".

Regards, Jean

Hello Jean

Thank you for the warning.

I have corrected the ODM file and did another round of plumbing in the chapter files.

All files updated.

Regards
Olivier

Olivier,
While preparing the file for the printed copies, I have found more
formatting errors that I am sure were not there in Peter's copy that I
checked earlier. Here is my list of errors found (page numbers are
from the final PDF as downloaded from NextCloud):

Page 23: Figures 6 and 7 have an extra blank line between the image
and the caption.
Page 24: Figure 8 has an extra blank line between the image and the caption.
Pages 28, 42, 73, 118, 143, 186, 226, 298, 328, 361: the list
numbering does not restart at 1. It looks like your "plumbing" removed
the explicit "restart at 1" from the first list item in each chapter.
There are also a lot of bad page breaks that were not in Peter's copy.
I am not going to list them

I will fix these problems in the ODT and PDF of the full book, before
I create the file for the print copies.

Jean

Hello Olivier and Jean

Just had a quick look at the Draw Guide and have found the following errors.

1. Extra page between front cover and Copyright page. The title Draw Guide 7.3 has direct formatting on top of Text Body style. Is there a need for this page when there is a cover page?

2. Paragraph (Book = 1) added after copyright paragraphs.

3. Space added before each chapter title on the chapter title page.

4. What is the difference between the chapter template used to create the chapters and the template used for this version of the user guide. The formatting for the book is now incorrect. For example, Figure 5 should be on Page 20 below Figure 4. This is easy to fix, but the rest of the book has incorrect formatting. I think it is to do with spacing, but cannot find the problem at the moment.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hello Jean

I have checked the Impress guide against my copy and there are formatting errors galore. Definitely ruins the look of what should be a well presented book. The Draw Guide is the same.
Is there a difference between the template used to create the chapters and the template used to the book?
I have created both books using the chapter template.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hi Jean

I missed the list restart as it was not visible in the chapters. I am fixing the chapters.

The extra space in images escaped my sight.

Olivier

Hi Peter, Jean

Hello Olivier and Jean

Just had a quick look at the Draw Guide and have found the following errors.

1. Extra page between front cover and Copyright page. The title Draw Guide 7.3 has direct formatting on top of Text Body style. Is there a need for this page when there is a cover page?

OK, so I admit I thought the Guide PDF was to be printed in user's inkjet printer, recto-verso and bound.

The extra page is a blank page exported by PDF when the current page is right only or left only. In this case the cover page style is right only and the "first page" page style is also right only so the blank page is the verso of the cover page or verso of the last even page of a chapter.

Master document:
The cover page style is right only
The back cover is left only

Chapters:
- Top logo is anchored as character in a paragraph with style "New Chapter", that has a page break before with page style "First page".
- The First page style is right only,
- The copyright + TOC section has page style "Front matter"
- The first "Heading 1" of each chapter has a manual page break before with "Default page style".

If the blank page is to be removed/ignored, a checkbox must be unchecked in the PDF export dialog and the "First page" style has go back to "right and left", then chapters can start on the left page.

Please advise here.

2. Paragraph (Book = 1) added after copyright paragraphs.

This is control variable "book" in master document (and exported ODT file) that hides the copyright and TOC section (SEC_COPYRIGHT) of each individual chapter, so they are not displayed in the master document nor exported to PDF. We can hide this variable by just erasing this line (the variable will not be erased).

Note: Chapters don't have this variable, so its assumed 0 and chapter Copyright + TOC are displayed.

3. Space added before each chapter title on the chapter title page.

I don't follow you here.

4. What is the difference between the chapter template used to create the chapters and the template used for this version of the user guide. The formatting for the book is now incorrect. For example, Figure 5 should be on Page 20 below Figure 4. This is easy to fix, but the rest of the book has incorrect formatting. I think it is to do with spacing, but cannot find the problem at the moment.

The master document has the same template as the chapters except cover, back cover and the tweak on the First page.

I have fixed the list restart numbering and extra empty paragraphs in the chapters and rebuilt the documents in my local copy. Let me know if I have to upload them to the cloud.

Kind regards
Olivier