Documentation forum

Hi Team

Our infra team has set up a test site for a documentation forum, based on the documentation mailing list. The documentation mailing list history has been imported to it. Please have a look at

https://communitytest.documentfoundation.org/c/documentation/195

And let us know if you have comments and suggestions on the new forum.

Kind regards

Hi Olivier,

Hi Team

Our infra team has set up a test site for a documentation forum, based on the documentation mailing list. The documentation mailing list history has been imported to it. Please have a look at

https://communitytest.documentfoundation.org/c/documentation/195

And let us know if you have comments and suggestions on the new forum.

My default browser is "Seamonkey" and using that browser I see nothing. The link opens in a blank page.

I do not want to change my default browser, because I like the integration of mail, browser and chatZilla client. So I would need a notification about the forum posts per mail.

If I then want to answer or post myself, I could use Chrome. But I do not want to make Chrome my default browser.

Kind regards,
Regina

Latest SeaMonkey is based on Firefox 91.9, so relatively recent. I looked into it and apparently there was a regression in Discourse:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-not-loading-on-legacy-browsers/221412

As TDF is running the latest release of Discourse, 2.8.3, it seems that the fixes have not yet hit a stable version. However, Regina and other SeaMonkey users could test how https://meta.discourse.org/ works. It certainly works for me with SeaMonkey 2.53.12

It is not the intention of Discourse devs to cruelly block visitors using non-bleeding-edge browsers. Quote from a dev in the topic:

"Keep in mind, our biggest focus is on not breaking old browsers. A blank page is simply not acceptable, not even on ancient browsers. A readonly view is acceptable.

The tricky thing that happened here is that we have some browsers that are in a twilight state, not exactly supported and not exactly not supported, sadly they got a white page treatment.

We are thinking of better approaches going forward to avoid regularly hitting these issues as our minimal browser version number creeps up."

Ilmari

Hi Ilmari,

https://meta.discourse.org/ works for me. My Seamonkey version is 2.53.12.

Kind regards,
Regina

This looks good as it does give the progress of a document on its journey to publication.

The only comment I can make is about the little indicators used for the people involved for each item. Suggest an empty circle with the initials of the user inside. For me that would be PS. The colour fill used does make the initials difficult to see on my monitor.

I am now creating the 7.3 versions of the Impress and Draw user guides.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hi Team

Some important questions to answer or to know on the creation of the Documentation forum. Please voice your opinion.

1) Do you want an automatic subscription to the forum, based on the current subscription of the DOc' mailing list? PLease note:

    + automatic subscription will be done for people with a login at TDF (the one you have for NextCloud, for example)

    + If you prefer to do it yourself, you can use the login you have in TDF (the same as used in NextCloud). You can also define a different e-mail address for the Forum service (set in https://user.documentfoundation.org/edit )

    + The Forum has its own set of options (gear icon on the top left) where you can adjust the settings of your forum account, including the frequency of forum notification mails sent to you.

2) The current doc mailing list contents has been imported to the test site and will be imported to the production forum. Therefore:

+ Shall we close the doc mailing list (no more posts there)?
+ Shall we leave it open for posting?.
     + WARNING: There is no way to bridge the 2 messaging systems. Duplication of contents and division of the team is likely to bring confusion and loss of synergy.

3) We can have one main category "Documentation" and several subcategories. For example, the subcategories could be "Guides" and "Help".
+ Does subcategories are actually needed? Do you have another subcategory to suggest? or...
+ Shall we have just one main category will all subjects in, and filter with tags?

The Production Forum is expected to start early june 2022.

Thank you for your inputs, they are important for us to deliver the best service.

Kind regards

Olivier

-------- Mensagem encaminhada --------

Some important questions to answer or to know on the creation of the
Documentation forum. Please voice your opinion.

1) Do you want an automatic subscription to the forum, based on the
current subscription of the DOc' mailing list? PLease note:

I think I prefer automatic subscription.

   + automatic subscription will be done for people with a login at
TDF (the one you have for NextCloud, for example)

   + If you prefer to do it yourself, you can use the login you have
in TDF (the same as used in NextCloud). You can also define a
different e-mail address for the Forum service (set in
The Document Foundation's User Panel )

   + The Forum has its own set of options (gear icon on the top left)
where you can adjust the settings of your forum account, including the
frequency of forum notification mails sent to you.

2) The current doc mailing list contents has been imported to the test
site and will be imported to the production forum. Therefore:

+ Shall we close the doc mailing list (no more posts there)?

I think so. two sources seems confusing to me.

+ Shall we leave it open for posting?.
    + WARNING: There is no way to bridge the 2 messaging systems.

One source seems better to me.

Duplication of contents and division of the team is likely to bring
confusion and loss of synergy.

Agree.

3) We can have one main category "Documentation" and several
subcategories. For example, the subcategories could be "Guides" and
"Help".
+ Does subcategories are actually needed? Do you have another
subcategory to suggest? or...
+ Shall we have just one main category will all subjects in, and
filter with tags?

Tags seem fine to me. But maybe two subcategories, UI and Help.

The Production Forum is expected to start early june 2022.

Thank you for your inputs, they are important for us to deliver the
best service.

Best regards,
Kees

Hi Team

Some important questions to answer or to know on the creation of the
Documentation forum. Please voice your opinion.

1) Do you want an automatic subscription to the forum, based on the
current subscription of the DOc' mailing list? PLease note:

Automatic for me

    + automatic subscription will be done for people with a login at TDF

(the one you have for NextCloud, for example)

    + If you prefer to do it yourself, you can use the login you have in
TDF (the same as used in NextCloud). You can also define a different
e-mail address for the Forum service (set in
https://user.documentfoundation.org/edit )

    + The Forum has its own set of options (gear icon on the top left)
where you can adjust the settings of your forum account, including the
frequency of forum notification mails sent to you.

2) The current doc mailing list contents has been imported to the test
site and will be imported to the production forum. Therefore:

+ Shall we close the doc mailing list (no more posts there)?

Yes, close the doc mailing list for posting, but keep archives available.

+ Shall we leave it open for posting?.
     + WARNING: There is no way to bridge the 2 messaging systems.
Duplication of contents and division of the team is likely to bring
confusion and loss of synergy.

3) We can have one main category "Documentation" and several
subcategories. For example, the subcategories could be "Guides" and "Help".
+ Does subcategories are actually needed? Do you have another
subcategory to suggest? or...
+ Shall we have just one main category will all subjects in, and filter
with tags?

I don’t know how the tags work or who assigns them, but I think having only
one main category is easier to use..

The Production Forum is expected to start early june 2022.

Hi all,

Just a short clarification here:
[...]

2) The current doc mailing list contents has been imported to the test site and will be imported to the production forum. Therefore:

+ Shall we close the doc mailing list (no more posts there)?
+ Shall we leave it open for posting?.
    + WARNING: There is no way to bridge the 2 messaging systems. Duplication of contents and division of the team is likely to bring confusion and loss of synergy.

For those who prefer mails, you can get notifications from the forum for each publication, or follow only what you are interested on. You can also reply by mail. This is not completely like a mailing list, but you are not forced to interoperate with the forum once you have set your preferences.

Thanks Olivier for leading the discussion here, and others for their feedback :slight_smile:
Cheers
Sophie

I'm looking forward to Discourse replacing the mailing list.

Suggested features:

   1. All email notifications turned off except any threads subscribed to
   2. Optional thread subscriptions: I post to, mentioning my username,
   containing selected tags (eg base documentation)
   3. Default English filter
   4. Attach documents and inline images
   5. Emojis on posts, at least a GitHub subset, rather than just love
   6. Specific documentation of the rules coded into the site (eg
   https://communitytest.documentfoundation.org/t/re-test-document-foundation-community-email-issue-posting-error/33
   )
   7. Direct https://ask.libreoffice.org/ link

Works find with Brave although Brave does not support translation.

I agree with Jean’s comments about the Documentation forum.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Greetings - I think the tool is similar to (ask.libreoffice). Please find my thoughts:

1) Subscription mode: Allow the user to decide.

2) The Doc mailing list should be kept open for a limited time with an auto-response detailing this transition in English and their regional language (localization).

3) Yes, subcategories are easier for grouping the topics. For example, categorizing the topics as in Writer-GS, Writer-UG, UserFeedback, with tags as the release versions DocMeet, Automation will improve the user journey scenarios.

Thank you

-Dev