Slide Show in Impress

After comments from Kees, I am testing the running of a presentation in LO Impress and there maybe an omission in the slide show settings.

There is no autostart of a presentation, or automatic advancing of slides in a presentation. You have to press the spacebar, right our left arrow keys, or mouse click to start the presentation or move to the next slide.

There is an autostart loop and repeat option after setting a time delay, BUT again there is no autostart function.

Is this a bug or is it a deliberate omission?

If it is a bug, I will submit a bug report.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hi Peter,

After comments from Kees, I am testing the running of a presentation in LO Impress and there maybe an omission in the slide show settings.

There is no autostart of a presentation, or automatic advancing of slides in a presentation. You have to press the spacebar, right our left arrow keys, or mouse click to start the presentation or move to the next slide.

Autostart = Start in presentation mode ?
On Windows, right click the file and choose item 'Show' instead of 'Open' from context menu.

Automatic advancing slides is not in the slide settings, but it is a setting of the slide transition. There you find section 'Advance Slide' with options 'On mouse click' and 'After ... sec'.

Kind regards
Regina

Hello Regina

Clicking on Show in Windows opens the file in Impress then automatically opens in presentation mode. However, there is still no Autostart or auto slide advance. You have to press Spacebar, right or left arrows or mouse click.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hello Regina

The right-click on a presentation file and select Show is only available in Windows. I have checked macOS and Ubuntu and right-click > Show is not available.

Autostart is required if the option Loop and repeat after… is selected in Slide Show Settings. This allows a slide show to be run independently as a display, for example in a shop or at an exhibition as an advertising tool.

I shall submit a bug report to see if Autostart can be added to Impress.

Does anyone else have an opinion on Autostart for an Impress presentation.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hi Peter,

Hello Regina

The right-click on a presentation file and select Show is only available in Windows. I have checked macOS and Ubuntu and right-click > Show is not available.

Autostart is required if the option Loop and repeat after… is selected in Slide Show Settings. This allows a slide show to be run independently as a display, for example in a shop or at an exhibition as an advertising tool.

In that case, starting LibreOffice via command line would be the way to go. That can be combined with a cron job.
https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/running-and-stopping-impress-via-cron/29156

Kind regards
Regina