Writer Guide 4.2 Chapter 12. TOCS and indexes

I have uploaded a version of this to the feedback folder.

Nothing needs to be redone. All that is needed is to use LO's built-in merge facility to merge the published version with the two corrected versions. It will flag up all changes and you can decide which ones to incorporate.

Hazel Russman wrote:

8<-- snip -->8

Nothing needs to be redone. All that is needed is to use LO's
built-in merge facility to merge the published version with the two
corrected versions. It will flag up all changes and you can decide
which ones to incorporate.

It appears that we have a bigger problem. I have just started working to
review/merge your corrections into the "cleaned XML" files provided by
Milos and I am finding that the "cleaning" process has created many
errors, especially in cross-references.
Just one of numerous examples: WG4201 - In the originally published file
and Hazel's revision the cross-references on Page 23 to page 24 are
correct. In the "cleaned" file these cross-references erroneously point
to page 26.

Since I was responsible for replacing the originally published files
with the "cleaned" files on the wiki and ODFAuthors, without checking
for these kinds of issues first, I will:
a) Revert the files I replaced to the originally published files.
b) Review/merge your corrections with the originally published files.
c) Publish the corrected files.

I think it is more important to have accurate documentation than it is
to worry about minor XML inaccuracies.

Sorry to have been part of the problem while trying to be part of the
solution.

Dave

Hi :slight_smile:
Ok, i keep not understanding what's happening.

Was that done to the old version of the chapter before the chaps did all
the work on clearing x-refs and stuff? So are they having to re-do all
their work, or is it just Hazel's work that needs to be re-done?

Is it kinda working? Is the work-flow problematic? Is there possibly a
better work-flow for the future?

Sorry, i am having a very bad-hair day here.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Dave,

Hazel Russman wrote:

8<-- snip -->8

[...]

Ok, thanks a lot.

I think it is more important to have accurate documentation than it is
to worry about minor XML inaccuracies.

Yes, on one hand because the EN documentation is the source, and on the
other hand, having clean xml files allow an easier workflow for translators.

Sorry to have been part of the problem while trying to be part of the
solution.

Don't feel sorry, on the contrary, thanks a lot for your work.
Kind regards
Sophie

Dear Dave,

I am sorry to have caused problems. I've even compared the original and
corrected document, did not see any differences. Since LO does not
compare everything, this may be the reason why I did not notice.

I do not know how did this happen. There is, however, a very simple way
how to correct the page references: open a file and insert arbitrary
page reference to heading anywhere - in that moment all incorrect
references change to correct values (looks to be a kind o magic). Then
delete the just inserted reference. So, it is not necessary to manually
incorporate Hazel's correction into the old files again. This would be a
lot of work, and my work will be lost, too.

I can, for course, do that by myself, if you agree.

I have to find the reason. I've been using the script for about a year,
but the problem started to appear only recently.

Sorry for causing problems again
best regards
Milos

Hi Milos,

Don't be too quick to blame your script, it might not be the cause of
the issue I have encountered. I copied all the files (the originals,
yours and Hazel's corrections) over to another computer with a different
version of Writer and now I am seeing something different. I am starting
to think that it may have something to do with the OS and versions each
of us are using. Let me work on this over the next couple of days and I
will report back. In the meantime it would be helpful if you and Hazel
would be kind enough to let me know details of the OS and LO version you
are both using.

Thanks for the tip about correcting page references.

Regards
Dave

I am using LibreOffice 4.2.6.3 on Crux Linux. This is the official Crux version of the package.

H Russman

Hi Dave,

meanwhile I have studied the problem a bit deeper and found out that
update of the table of contents updates the references too.

I've also tested the script - it does not change page numbering (in fact
it cannot do that, it does not enter such tags). Normally, when removing
a large piece of text, the references are updated, so I cannot imagine a
situation when the numbering can be corrupted. Maybe a bug somewhere.

I use Ubuntu and the LO version was probably 4.2.6. I've updated to
4.2.7 a week ago.

Unfortunately, some days ago I deleted the directories with the old and
manually processed WG42 files, so I do not know when this happened.
Don't you happen to have the version from October 3-rd? I would like to
understand the problem and eventually to file a bug.
best

Googlemail wrote:

[...]

Thanks Hazel. I have set up a VM replication of your configuration for
testing.

Regards
Dave

Hi Milos,

I am still investigating, but I am reasonably sure it is not your script
that is the problem. I may have unintentionally mislead you by referring
to "cross-references", the links in your files appear to be correct, but
I am finding errors in the written text for those links which are not
the fault of your script. Hazel's files show the correct typed text and
other changes appear in the "Accept or Reject" dialog, but there is
nothing showing up there to indicate that she actually made changes to
correct the page numbers.

Thanks for the OS and version info. I have set up a VM replication of
your configuration for testing.

I have sent you a separate message with a link to a complete set files I
downloaded from ODFAuthors on October 3rd. when Jean announced their
publication.

Best Regards
Dave

Dave Barton wrote:

[...]

OK some progress.

The issue with the page numbers is resolved by a simple TOC "Update
Index/Table".
However, in some instances this causes loss of the document graphics.
I am working around this by updating the TOC before making any other edits.

Hazel's corrected documents indicate the removal of some (not all)
spurious spaces and characters that do not exist in the originally
published files. So I will make Hazel's changes to the cleaned XML files
manually, even though it is more work I am not about to chance a
document merge.

Regards
Dave