Documentation suggestions for Impress

Hello,

I'm using Impress version 3.4.5 on OSX, and would like to
offer suggestions for the Wiazard's Help pages.

Scenario: Creating a new presentation, and pressing "Help" on Page 2
of the Presentation Wizard.

Issue 1: Select a slide design
The help text starts with "Allows you to select a slide design for the
presentation you selected on page 1 of the Wizard."

This is rather redundant -- might I suggest that you just remove this sentence?

Issue 2: The next sentence says "In the upper list box you can choose
from three slide design types (education, presentation backgrounds and
presentations)."

On my installation, there are only two slide design types,
"Presentation Backgrounds" and "Presentations". I
do not see "Education"

Issue 3: Can the help be more specific about what the differences are
between the output mediums?

The help text describes each output medium, but in an almost
redundant/meaningless way.

For example, "Overhead Sheet" help says "Creates a presentation to be
used as overhead transparencies".

Okay, that's helpful to know, but what is the difference between all
these output mediums? I mean
what would be different about choosing "Overhead Sheet" versus
"Original" or "Slides" or "Screen"?

The help for the "Screen" output medium states "Creates a computer
    screen presentation only. The screen is adjusted by default.".

Does this mean that I won't be able to print it? I have no idea why I
would choose this
versus "Slide" or the others. I have no idea the impact that choosing
this option would have, other
than the screen is adjusted by default and that the pres. is for
computer screen presentation only. Does this
mean I couldn't print the presentation?

I don't really know what that means -- Why would I use "Screen" output
medium instead of
the others? Perhaps if the help would have a sentence or two about
/why/ I would choose
a specific output medium, or give examples of presentations that use
specific output mediums, this
would greatly improve the Help section for this step of the wizard.

"Slide" output medium's help states "Creates a presentation to be
used as slides". What does that mean? I thought that all Impress
presentations were to be used as slides? Again, perhaps an example scenario or
presentation would be a great help to users like me who are just
trying to create a
presentation and are following the Wizard.

Thanks for listening to my suggestions.

--Nate

I'd be happy to file a "bug" or "improvement" if someone points me
to an easy way to do this.

Thanks,
--Nate

Thanks for the interest in the LibreOfffice product, but this is a list
about the DOCUMENTATION of the software, if you need something modified
from WITHIN the software, say an onscreen error or redundancy (as you so
perfectly put it) should be done on a DEVELOPMENT list.

We can try to see if someone here has the capacility to change these
things, but it is not our list goal.

I recomend you put these observations in a bug report at bugzilla
(freedesktop bugs under LibreOffice) and post the bug lso in a DEV list

But I agree that these Impress Wizards REALLY need some work for the user
experience to improve

Thanks

Rogerio

Hi :slight_smile:
I think we should be doing the Help screens and stuff but no-one knows how to do it. Also we are a bit overwhelmed with just getting the guides out there right now and it was felt the guides were a slightly higher priority.

I guess that the design list might be able to help? or the website list?
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Hmmm, i am not at all sure about it tbh. I'm only fairly sure that we don't
know how to do changes to those types of things. Rpgerio's post makes a lot
of sense imo.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile: