On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM Heiko Tietze <tietze.heiko@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Disagree here as casual users may not be able to distinguish between
the new and open icons

I admit there is a problem, the icons are too similar, that's right.

have no clue what the pencil is good for (left most icon above the font
name)

My argument here is, that someone has not to know all tools in a toolbox to
be able to do something useful with a toolbox, as long as the unversed user
is able to find his tools, all is fine.
The clone button has a pencil by convention → advanced office users coming
from other office suites expect the icon to look like a pencil (Microsoft
Word, Google Docs). The clone button is not targeted at Benjamin.

Labeling everything comes at a high price, label take a lot of
screen-space.
I think that labeling is not that important, what rather matters is to
group
similar actions together → grouping over labeling. Not using section
labels
allows to be not forced to have only actions of a certain section-group
in
one group – e.g. in the mock-up I have the comment-button in the same
group
as the text-size button.

Forcing to do a clean design is good :-). Grouping without labels
shifts the comprehension of your design towards the user whether or
not she is able to understand what you had in mind. But of course I
would sign the grouping over labeling constitution if there is no
chance to have labels. So why not hide the labels when the screen size
is limited but show them by default?

For the mock-up I decided against labels because I don't see them add much
value to the interface → they would clutter an already overloaded UI even
more. The only section where I see labels add value is for the last toolbar
group, because for the user it might be hard to grasp, that the section
content changes context-based.

Users with not so perfect sight may struggle with bullets vs. numbers,
for
instance, that are distinguished by only a few pixels. Casual users may
not
recognize some functions and need to read the tooltips.

To help users with less sight there should be a high-contrast icon theme.

For users like me with a less defective sight of ~1-2dp it is rather a
lazy eyes thing when tiny differences of icons are not recognized at a
glance. And I don't want to use high contrast icons, rather a colored
theme. Or use labels.

I selected the icons because I thought they somewhat look good, in the end
the design is more about to figure out what and what not to place on the UI
and how the buttons could be organized. For sure there is a lot of room for
icon-design improvements. Having a good distinguishable interface is very
important. Beside improving the shape, maybe the icons need to be bigger in
general. When the UI has a higher contrast (by shape/color) the UI should
also be more pleasant to view for people with normal sight.

For me a good UI:

* has as few icons/lines as possible (less content = less distraction)
* is grouped logically (makes finding actions predictable)
* does not distract the user from archiving is main goal (the UI should
accompany, not rule the content)

Seems like I should do another mock-up...

Greetings
Thibaut