toki wrote

Personally, I think that the minimum size should be 128 colours.

One might be able to get away with a 64 colour palette, if alternative
palettes are _easy_ for non-technical people to install.
Both ooespalette.1.1.oxt and ZD_Color_Palettes.oxt throw an error, when
attempting to install their *.soc files using the extension. For
non-techies, this is a fail.

The color swatch widget has a view windows of 12 x 7 swatches.

The current LO standard palette is 167 colors and 14 rows.  The current
scribus.soc is 546 named colors--sorted by color name so just 45.5 rows to
scroll through.

A .soc with the 1032 colors of  LibreColour CIE HLC would take 86 rows to
scroll, so not too troubling.

A palette of 16.7 million colors  is a bit too many to scroll and pick from,
mind numbing to advance through.

One other item to be considered, is that switching palettes from within
LibO usually requires the program to be restarted.  (My normal practice
is to close LibO, copy the palette I want to standard.soc, then start
LibO.)

No restart is necessary and renaming standard.soc is the wrong approach as
that _would_ make for a bad UX.   Rather, all the color dialogs should now
have option to select the palette to use. Having any external palette
available is simply an issue of copying it to the $ORIGIN/share/palette
directory. It will then show in the dropdown list with all other "installed"
palettes. You do not need to work in the standard palette--the document
canvas will be rendered with the selected color either from swatch or
"custom" from the color picker.