Hi all,

Taylor Jenkins schrieb:
*See comments inline.*

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Yousuf 'Jay' Philips <ypharis@gmail.com>
wrote:

Regarding z-index, what does it mean to change the z-index on a group if

With my limited knowledge of ODF, groups dont have z-index only shapes do,
so though you can pretend to move a group's z-index, you are actually
moving the z-index of the shapes.

*In ODF (LO 5.1), groups do have a z-index.

We need to distinguish between ODF and LO. In ODF a group may indeed have a z-index. On opening the document, LO interprets the z-index. But LO does not store any z-index.

*For example take the following array of shapes: [a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h].*
*Here is the result after grouping shapes b, d, and f: [a,c,e, [b, d, f],
g, h].*
*The group now has the index of 3, and the index for h changed from 7 to 5.
The rendering order is now a, c, e, b, d, f, g, h.*

You describe the stacking order in LibreOffice.

I think, that LibreOffice cannot show all ways to stack elements, which would be possible with the draw:z-index element. I think, that ODF needs an addition, how to work with groups. Imagine the following structure (It is from the attached file, not relevant parts are replaced with ~~~)

<draw:page ~~~>
<draw:line draw:name="OneLine" ~~~ draw:z-index="1"><text:p /></draw:line>
    <draw:g draw:name="FourGroup" draw:z-index="4">
<draw:circle draw:name="EightCircle" ~~~ draw:z-index="8"><text:p /></draw:circle> <draw:rect draw:name="ThreeRectangle" ~~~ draw:z-index="3"><text:p /></draw:rect>
    </draw:g>
    <draw:g draw:name="TwoGroup" draw:z-index="2">
<draw:rect draw:name="SixRectangle" ~~~ draw:z-index="6"><text:p /></draw:rect> <draw:circle draw:name="FiveCircle" ~~~ draw:z-index="5"><text:p /></draw:circle>
    </draw:g>
<draw:line draw:name="SevenLine" ~~~ draw:z-index="7"><text:p /></draw:line>
</draw:page>

What stacking order do you expect?
(a)
OneLine
ThreeRectangle
FiveCircle
SixRectangle
SevenLine
EightCircle

(b)
OneLine
FiveCircle
SixRectangle
ThreeRectangle
EightCircle
SevenLine

I would expect (a) from the text of the specification. But LO uses (b), which means, that it does not respect the z-index crossing groups. LO interprets z-index only for stack order of objects of the same level. So LO works as
(b)
OneLine
[TwoGroup, not visible as itself]
    FiveCircle
    SixRectangle
[FourGroup, not visible as itself]
    ThreeRectangle
    EightCircle
SevenLine

So it has on first level the order OneLine, TwoGroup, FourGroup, SevenLine. And on second level, inside a group FiveCircle, SixRectangle and in the other group ThreeRectangle, EightCircle. I see the same stack order in Calligra-Karbon, although Callibra preserves the z-index value.

Because LO determines the stack order by the order in which the objects appear in the file, it is not able to handle mixing group and stacking order.

Jos, Thorsten, should we adapt the specification to the way LibreOffice and Calligra do it? It would implicate, that the z-index need not be unique over the whole document, but only locally on the level.

Kind regards
Regina