On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:
Hi Heiko,

perhaps it would be clearer, if it was not named "layer" but e.g. "access
cluster"? So that users do not confuse it with 'layers' as they are used in
other applications.

To be honest, for Draw having layers that don't behave as majority of
vector/raster editing programs out there is not the way to make Draw
more familiar and useful for users. Changing the name will not make
things better - it will make things worse.

Now, ODF doesn't connect the layers with z-order, however this doesn't
mean that Draw shouldn't. We can sort and reorder the shapes in draw
depending on which layer they reside at the moment. This way the
layers will behave as expected even when we don't store this behavior
in ODF, however we also don't violate it. Karbon (part of Calligra
Suite) which uses ODG as its primary format handles its layers exactly
like that.

Kind regards
Regina

Regards, Tomaž