On 02/20/2016 09:18 PM, toki wrote:
On 20/02/2016 20:29, Tim wrote:

<snip>
You don't use a font organizer?
OTOH, none of the font organizers for Linux I've come across, will walk
specific directories in which one stores uninstalled fonts.

NO, I do not have a package to control which fonts are in my font folder, either for Ubuntu or Win10. I tend to go through my .font folder on this laptop [and other systems] and remove the fonts that are no longer needed and install the one that will be needed for the next project[s].

Right now, I have installed the following fonts and looking at if these fonts would work with my projects that have not had any font requirements.
Alegreya
Gentium
Raleway

If I decide I do not like them, then I will look at others I have hear about.

<snip>

I do not know about OSX, but for Linux you have the option to install
the MS core Fonts - "ms-core-font-installer" or something like that -
from the Linux repository, or at least with Ubuntu.
If you are talking about the package from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/corefonts/ then:
* Fonts distributed with Win10 are missing;
* It includes fonts that are not distributed with Win10;

Rephrasing, even if one installs and uses those fonts, there is no
guarantee that a Win10 user will have those fonts.

I mean "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" that is listed in the Ubuntu repository.

I do not know off hand what fonts are installed by Win10, since all my systems that I had installed Win10 were Win7 systems that I already had a large font collection installed. I did not look at the before and after font names.

I was looking at a wikipedia list of installed fonts and the listings for Win10 seems not to be installed on my Win10 partition of this laptop. Fonts like Georgia Pro and Arial Nova are not included on my install. I have not found a page in MS's web site.

The trouble still is that it seems most people have their favorite free
font[s] that they want to be part of LO's install.

That is because most people think that their specific use-case is the
only use-case.

Something to pay attention to, is font requirements according to the
various style manuals.  By way of example, _The APA Publication Manual_
(2010) requires the use of Times New Roman.  The _Southern Seminary
Manual of Style_  mandates the use of SBL BibLit for Greek and Hebrew
text, and Times New Roman for papers written in English.

Yes, there are many, many, documents out there that require specific fonts for their "production".

That is how I got the entire[?] Adobe font collection for a specific organization and their publications.

I remember what a book editor told me. If you sent in a manuscript to the people who decide if the book would get a chance for publication - before the self publications with e-books - you were required to present the printed manuscript in a specific format and font type. It seemed that each book publisher had their own format and font specifications.

So yes you need to use whatever are required to use.

by-the-way - Harry Potter books published for the US market had a page that tells the reader what font was use in the books text.

<snip>

I am glad I am the the one who has to make that decision.
Can you rephrase that? I'm not sure if the first "the" should be "not",
or if the second "the" should be deleted.

jonathon

Sorry, after 3 strokes, my finger control part of the brain sometimes do not communicate with the language part of the brain the way it should.

I do not want to be the one who decides which fonts are included with LibreOffice, I forget which office or graphics package installed 20+ fonts on your WinXP or Win7 system even if you do not want them.