On 23/01/2016 23:45, Heiko Tietze wrote:
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would really
appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed, I'll set
up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ...?Thanks!
The logo is perfect, especially in monochrome with the enlarged character
spacing for the TDF letters.
I'm not a fan of the bright green (the old branding color was nicer) in
particular combined with the white font. And the lemons could be attributed as
sour rather than fresh.

There are contrast issues in some of the logos at
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/25/LibreOffice_LogoImprovements2016_Ideation.png>.
(The criterion is use for contrast comes from Success Criterion 1.4.3 in
the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0:
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contrast-contrast>.
I used the Colour Contrast Analyser from
<https://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/> to check the
contrast.)

For example, in the logos above the first horizontal line:
* in the logo with the green background, the contrast varies on where
you check (due to the gradient):
** close to the "L": #FFFFFF on #36B923: contrast ratio of 2.59 to 1
** close to the other end of the name: #FFFFFF on #18A203: contrast
ratio of 3.38 to 1
* in the logo with the grey background, the contrast is OK: #FFFFFF on
#666666: contrast ratio of 5.74 to 1

The green letters on a white background also have insufficient contrast.
(Unfortunately, I can't continue checking; the image with the logos no
longer diplays in my browser.)

This is obviously not a new issue. For example, the splash screen in
LibreOffice 4.0.4.2 (the version on my PC) also has white text on a
green background with a contrast ratio of 2.86 to 1, which is much too
low, even for big letters.

Best regards,

Christophe

However, I'm not a designer, so don't care too much.
From the UX POV the colored text in IconsInclMotif are questionable. In
particular the yellow is hard to read. And the green of the logo interferes
with Calc's green.
The wallpaper feels a little bit untidy and irritating. To me, the dog-ear
triangle from the logo without the page doesn't work. Last but not least the
bugs have a friendly but warning color, very nice. Maybe you can make the bugs
a little bit cuter, laydbugs perhaps? :-)

Cheers,
Heiko

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom
instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”
Jacob Appelbaum,
<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>