Hi Bastian,

On 10/18/2015 06:59 AM, Bastián Díaz wrote:
Hello,

Reviewing future changes in LO 5.1, I learned that a menu styles are
included. https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/f/fa/Styles-menu.png

Yes that is one of my changes in 5.1 and it contains a static list a basic paragraph and character styles to help promote the use/awareness of styles.

It seems fantastic that decision, but revives my doubts about the
inclusion some time ago of a dropdown menu of basic styles in the
properties tab on the sidebar. What is its purpose or use cases?

The style drop down found in the formatting toolbar was added to the properties tab of the sidebar in writer in 5.0. The drop down lists applied styles in a document and is important for users who prefer to use the sidebar over the contextual toolbars.

I in most cases I turn to tab styles, and in the case of using the
dropdown menu, go to "more styles" recursively. As an element in the
toolbar seemed interesting and useful, but now I do not see it
necessary. If a adds style menu, I see this redundant feature.

For a toolbar user, the entire properties tab of the sidebar would be redundant and not just the style drop down menu. For a sidebar user, the addition of the style drop down allows them to finally hide the formatting and other contextual toolbars without any problems.

A user can open styles from a keyboard shortcut, go to the tab styles
and use menu styles. For me the choice of styles in the property tabs is
unnecessary, in addition to providing a poor experience.

Keyboard shortcuts, styles & formatting, and the new Styles menu are features focused on advanced users. For regular users, the style drop down menu in the toolbar or sidebar would be their primary activation of styles.

You could consider deleting to 5.1?

It is something that will be staying in the properties tab.

Regards,
Yousuf 'Jay' Philips