Cor Nouws wrote on 13-09-15 23:45:
Christoph Noack wrote on 06-09-15 15:00:

Am Montag, den 31.08.2015, 23:36 +0200 schrieb Cor Nouws:

So, ugly UX hack (sorry for even daring to suggest ;) ):
In the File > Print dialog, on the first Tab (General) add below the
list Printer en > details, a button: "..printer settings in stead of
document/page settings" leading to the fourth tab (Options)
This
 - shows where to find the desired behavior (well, not really - see
Christophs remark below)
 - indicates that there are document/page settings.
Then
 - on the fourth tab (Options) ad a button: "learn more on page
settings and influence on printing) or something like that.

Alternative: when people hit Printer properties show a pup-up with the
e.g. following text:

" Mind that when setting paper orientation, this in general only works
properly if paper orientation is set in the page style (via Format >
Page). You may chose to override this. Then also for this print the
check "use only paper size from printer settings" is set (see the tab
Option). Find more in the Help on subject XYZ.
  [ ]  don't show this warning again.  "

[...] (remove file > Printer Settings and integrate in Format > Page)

Would be fine for me.
Mind this allows (via page styles) directing different pages of one
file to different printers :)

Oh! I was rather thinking about selecting "the printer" for the
document and thus the different trays of this single printer.

One can set "the printer" in each page style of the active document. A
bit conflicting?. But it can be added "set printer (for all page styles)"

I still like this one, since it brings all the printer settings at the
same place.

      [about changing page orrientation in print dialog]

      Per default, this setting is valid for the given print dialog
      session only. Per user demand, the setting can be applied to
      the document settings (image something like a "make setting
      sticky" appearing after the user changed the default selection).

I would not support this.
It may cause unexpected problems in the document.

Why? I shouldn't be the default. If applied, it is nothing different
than (batch-)changing the page orientation in "Format -- Page".

What if there are more page styles, and people do need to check margins
and more settings? Then they are lost since they do not work on the
proper place in the file: Format Page..

If chosen, show a pup-up with the e.g. following text:

" Mind that when setting paper orientation here, this changes the paper
orientation in all the page styles of the document (via Format > Page).
You may chose to check lay out first. Find more in the Help on subject XYZ.
[ ] don't show this warning again. "

So I prefer to focus on education / directing users to the proper
knowledge, place, rather then adding hacks that make the work flow and
places to set stuff (see the phases 1-5 in my previous mail) even more
look like spagetti. Just my 2#..

Well said ;)

--
Cor Nouws