Yes I think this is definitely an issue with all productivity
applications, as all applications are running on different devices such as
desktops, laptops, servers, phones, and tablets. It can make collaboration
I think extremely difficult.

There is a similar collaboration code in Libreoffice calc that was tested
with spreadsheets.

Where I would personally like to see LO collaboration code is a start in LO
then maybe it would be with other products in the market such as owncloud,
zoho and maybe even quip...

A question regarding odf and collaboration:

Does the odf format have tools for developers to implement collaboration
code? An example would be can one user type at the same time as another
user in the same odf document?

If this is not possible maybe it is the file format... That restricts
collaboration?
Maybe a new format has to be created in order to use collaboration maybe a
new open source licensed file type that is specific for only collaboration
documents spreadsheets or presentations.. Needs to be created??? Could it
be easier to start from scratch in a new format than trying to rework an
existing file format??

ljelly.