Hi JBF,

Le 04/09/2014 10:56, Mirek M. a écrit :
[...]

We don't want to forward things to the mailing list, though, because we
want the conversations to happen in one place and don't want people to
reply on the list.

Hmm, looks like as if you wanted to keep discussions closed and private.

Ok, it will be easier to make decisions. Not sure that this way you can
make decisions useful for LibreOffice and its users.
What do you plan to make this forum discoverable ?

All the links on the LibreOffice website that link to the mailing list will
be changed to point to Redmine. Given that much of our workflow is moving
to Redmine, I don't think discovering it will be a problem.

Also, keep in mind that we're not the only team to use Redmine.

We're getting rid of the list.
Not sure if design team is legitimate to decide that.
What do you plan to keep the list archive?

Well, we have http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/ .
I'm guessing that this archive doesn't depend on the existence of the
mailing list. If it does, we'll figure out a way to keep an archive --
worst-case scenario is keeping a dead mailing list, but I don't think that
will be necessary.

[...]

Instead of suggesting that I talk without knowing what I am talking
about, you should try to answer to my arguments against the use of forums.
Did you ever try a decent mail client? If you use a webmail, I can
understand why you prefer the forums. But the problem is not the use of
mailing-lists, it is how you manage your mails.

I tried multiple, actually, and still use Thunderbird for encrypted mails.
Always preferred GMail's interface, though, to be honest.

However, e-mail organization is not the issue with our current mailing
list. One of the main issues we have is the inability to upload attachments
(which are quite important for the design team). There are also many other
niceties that come with Redmine -- since much of our process is moving to
Redmine, a newcomer only has to create a single account and can follow the
team's activity in one central place. The fact that registration, posting,
and archives are all in one place is good for newcomers, as well as the
fact that they may follow forum threads and other things on Redmine
selectively.

Also, it's not just me that prefers Redmine (and I was initially skeptical
of it as well) -- the response to the move was positive on both the Redmine
thread we had and on our IRC chat, the consensus being to use it instead of
the list.

I have talked to Astron recently, though, and he echoed your concerns about
not seeing the author when watching list messages. It doesn't seem like
this will be fixed -- see http://www.redmine.org/issues/241 and the
attached patch. On the plus side, it seems like the fix (as described in
the patch) would be quite simple -- you could try to convince the Redmine
maintainers to apply it.

Also, it seems that it is possible to reply to forum posts via e-mail after
all. It doesn't seem like it's possible to create new threads by e-mail,
though.