[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)
- From: Jean-Francois Nifenecker <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:20:08 +0200
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Le 19/04/2012 17:01, Stefan Knorr (Astron) a écrit :
To me, the idea seems sensible, but just as Mirek said, just adding a
document background doesn't make the application that much prettier.
What is indeed quick to fix is the document background. Applying the
same sickly hue of blue that the toolbar backgrounds currently use,
looks actually quite okay. Try setting the document background to
RGB(221,227,243), for instance.
 A list of stuff we can probably remove from the standard toolbar:
* Send as email (do people use that? for me, it doesn't play a role,
because I usually want to check that I've done everything looks okay
in an exported document.)
* Print preview (I don't think that many people use it, )
hu? Live it alone, please. I do it all the time and know plenty of people using that icon.
IMO, it can be removed if and only if a standard keyboard shortcut is assigned to the File/Print preview menu entry.
* AutoSpellcheck (the only people who I've seen turn that off are
people that are presenting stuff on OHP, but use a text document for
that purpose; another use case would be making screenshots of eg
diagrammes that you could add to another document later – we should
encourage neither use case)
* Format Paintbrush (counters our goal to encourage using styles)
* Add Hyperlink (is usually added automatically)
dunno. Perhaps people creating errr... web pages... using Writer?
* Gallery (completely useless right now)
BTW, the Tools/Gallery menu should be Display/Gallery.
* Non-printing characters (users set that once, never use it again)
Mmmm... Remember that non-printing chars will govern the page borders appearance in 3.6.x (Cedric has reintroduced the former page borders that 3.5.x had lost). Thus, having a direct switch will be convenient, I think.
* Data sources (probably used rather seldomly)
Yes. Data sources are used by people with some knowledge, so pressing F4 is probably a no-brainer for them.
* Help (?? there's a menu for that )
Yes. F1 is the way to go, anyway.
 I still much prefer removing the status bar over removing the rulers.
No, don't remove them as both are usefull.
The rulers because you can see the current settings (I discourage using them to actually set parameters as this can be quite approximative).
The status bar because it displays the... hem... document status. And, perhaps, can be used (double-click) for a quick access to some parameters.
I'd add to the list:
* Drawing tools
First, there's a Display/Toolbars/Drawing that does that. Second, the question is: do people often use the drawing tools in Writer? IMO, they should be directed to the Draw module.
* Styles and formatting
(1) People using styles know what they are doing and have heard about F11, and (2) they usually set this once and for all.
* Increase/Decrease paragraph margins
Use styles instead :)
I know of no-one who use these.
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|[libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)||Jan Holesovsky <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)||"Mirek M." <email@example.com>|
|Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)||Jan Holesovsky <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)||"Stefan Knorr (Astron)" <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: Change The Main Program's Window
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-design] Toolbar icon for the font style / size
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)