Hi all,

This is probably not going to go down well with those who have submitted proposals for this task already, but I think we should re-evaluate whether some sort of adopt-o-meter will actually /clarify/ things for users. While the proposals so far were good, I think I understood them only because I knew of the request for them to be made. As a /user/, these visual elements are actually quite confusing;

If you put a scale in, does that mean I can either have Stability or Features but not both? How am I going to decide what that even means for me if I haven't used the software yet? Why is 3.3.2 mentioned twice on some scales, does that make it superior to 3.4.0? What IS an early adopter? is it someone who downloads in the next few months? is this a new office suite? Does red/orange suggest that this isn't safe software? Does it indicate higher processing/resource demands?

I haven't been to the downloads page for a while, after heading there I realised most of the problem was the way it is presented.
it is *VERY* user-*un*friendly;

- How are beginner-users supposed to know what "x86" means?
- Why is there no emphasis on the actual software download link as opposed to the language/help packs? - What is with the COMPLETE AND UTTER LACK OF A *DOWNLOAD BUTTON* on this "downloads" page?

By comparison, there is no confusion about what to press when you head to Mozilla[1], Ubuntu[2], Google[3] or even Microsoft's[4] sites;
[1] http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
[3] http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/download/index.html
[4] http://www7.buyoffice.microsoft.com/asia/product.aspx?sku=10234643&cache=793687343&culture=en-AU

I think the cryptic filename-links need to go and the page just needs emphasis placed on the right details. It's useless to just say this, so I've made a mock-up of a preferable state for the downloads page;
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:PROP_DownloadsPage_110606NS.jpg
I don't know how possible that is to implement, but I'm happy to cough up the images of someone is willing.

But essentially, I honestly don't think the Adopt-o-meter graphics are helping things right now. I think users just need to see a big fat friendly green download button with all the affordances they've come to expect. I think the adopt-a-meter is essentially marketing-jazz on what is essentially Usability-turf. Just my opinion though.

-Nik

PS. I realised my mock-up doesn't have download-size listed anywhere, my bad.