Hi all,

trying to find some answers to the raised questions:

# Structure (of artifacts)

In my experience we will need to set-up at least the following artifacts (in
whichever way we are going to produce them in the end):

1. Vision:

Here are two examples of visions:

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before
this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to
the Earth." (John F. Kennedy, May 25, 1961)

"The iPod will be a portable digital music player that will hold 5000 songs.
It will have a battery life measured in days, not hours. You will navigate the
thousands of songs with a single finger. You will sync all your music from
your computer to the iPod in minutes automatically, so you can have all your
music in your pocket." (said to be formulated by Steve Jobs end of the 1990ies
- might be an urban myth though...)

To sum it up
- The vision gives a clear goal (benefit) that helps to unify all people
involved into making it become real
- It is commonly understandable and does not provide technical solutions
- leaves enough room for creativity
- helps to provide criteria so that different people in similar situations
will likely come to the similar decission
- is short and hence present to everyone involved into the process

-> We would have to involve all LibreOffice people to find this vision. This
cannot be tested or validated with users. It provides the frame we want to
achieve.

2. Personas:

Personas help us to understand and focus on certains users. Personas can be
validated and quality assured by the users. Hope creating and working with
personas is known to people on this list.

3. Situationas

Situationas are the situation / setting equivalent to Personas. They help us
to understand in which situations / environments our product is beeing used.
These can again be validated and quality assured by the users.

4. Goals / Core Usability Goals

When we place a Personas into a Situationa, we can understand the goals a
person has in this situation. Yes, this gives a matirx that can be large. But
again, we can validate and quality assure these with the users. From these
goal we can derive the actual usability goals (e.g. learnability, Error prone,
don't feel stupid,...) that can help us to design and later on meassure the
success of our designs in usability tests.

5. Features / Szenarios

On this basis we can derive the actually needed features by creating szenarios
of the usage. Again this can be tested with the users by using imagination
techniques. These can also lead to wireframes or other mock-ups of the
intended solution, so this is actually the bridge to design...

# Do we need to do user research for every project?

No. If we have these foundations we can build upon, we only need to do user
research if we encounter any gaps. Usually the above mentioned artifacts
should be created rather independently to current project. But staying real -
it makes most sense to only create the artifacts that are currently needed.
This way all the artifacts are created over time.

So instead of a workflow for every project, I propose to rather create sets of
artifacts that every project would have to refer to, to reason the created
solutions - but every project needs a maximum of freedom how to solve the
problem. People are very different how they work. The task might be very
different and needs different approaches...

# Tool?

With OpenUsabilily, KDE and other free software products, we are working on a
tool, that helps us to actually do these things. This tool (User Weave) will
be published under an aGPL soonish. My company wil then sponsor the hosting of
this tool, so we can easily use it for our purposes, without having to deal
with technical issues... So I would be happy if we would use and improve this
tool for our needs. What do you think?

# Start?

We need to start at the beginning. Let's start to work on a common vision for
LibreOffice. We will need a small team that conducts a couple of surveys in
order to get feedback from the community - it would be perfect if we would
finish this process in time for the LibreOffice Conference - just to give you
an idea about the length of such a process...

Paralle we could use user-surverys (such as the proposed work on the iconset)
to gather information about our users in order to create first sets of
personas.

Ok, so much for today. I am curious for your thoughts on this....

Cheers,
Björn