On 2024-02-21 18:58, Jason J.G. White wrote:
I noticed a few issues that may be Orca or LibreOffice-related - I don't know which is responsible. Orca is undergoing extensive development at the moment, which I'm testing by running the latest code from the main branch.

Thank you for reporting these.

1. In LibreOffice Writer, if I issue the F5 command to start the Navigator, focus moves there, but I can't bring focus to the tree of objects to be navigated, either with Tab/Shift-Tab or with cursor keys.

In my tests (current LibreOffice development version and either current Orca development version or the version from Debian testing, which is 45.2-1), it behaves like this:

1) When the Navigator is undocked, i.e. in a separate window, F5 brings focus to it and the focus announcement works as expected.

2) When its docked (e.g. to the left side of the Writer window), F5 toggles the navigator on/off, but doesn't bring focus to it. In that case, F6 can be used until you end up at the navigator, then move around there using the tab and arrow keys. At least on the tree, focus announcement works. (With orca main, there's an extra "Navigator" announcement before the actual tree element that I don't get with the version from Debian testing, but it generally works with both.)

There are unlabelled toggle buttons, but no tree object.

I can reproduce this for many of the UI elements above the tree view in the navigator with the gtk3 variant of LibreOffice (which uses native Gtk widgets), but not when non-native VCL widgets are used, e.g. when using the qt6 variant. In the latter case, the quick help/tooltip text is used for the accessible name as well (code pointer: VCLXAccessibleToolBoxItem::getAccessibleName and VCLXAccessibleToolBoxItem::GetText).

Unfortunately, for the case that the navigator is undocked, F6 initially ends up on UI elements without an accessible name, making it harder to realize that you're in the navigator. In my case, I get to the navigator when pressing F6 while the focus is in Writer's formatting toolbar. Once there, Ctrl+Shift+F10 can be used to undock, and get the probably more helpful variant 1) of the undocked navigator mentioned above.

Help page mentioning this:
https://help.libreoffice.org/24.2/en-US/text/swriter/guide/resize_navigator.html?&DbPAR=SHARED&System=UNIX

I plan to look into this a bit further as I find time (in particular the missing accessible names), but does this help as a workaround for now at least?